"ROMANSLEIGH (or Rumonsleigh) is a parish and village standing on the top of a hill and bounded on the north-east by the old Roman road, and is 4½ miles south from South Molton station on the Devon and Somerset branch of the Great Western railway and 6 north-north-east from Chulmleigh, in the Northern division of the county, Witheridge hundred, South Molton petty sessional division, union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of South Molton, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter; two small tributaries of the river Mole flow through the parish. The church of St. Rumon is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style. . . . the church was rebuilt in 1868 from designs by E. Ashworth esq. architect, of Exeter, and restored in 1885-7, when the tower was built: new chancel seats were erected in 1896, as a memorial to the Rev. Richard White Atkins M.A. rector 1884-95: in the churchyard are the remains of an old stone cross, and on the north side of the church is St. Rumon's well. The register dates from the year 1539. . . . The chief crops are wheat and oats. The area is 2,502 acres; rateable value, £1,198; the population in 1901 was 155." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.