Sampford Courtenay


"SAMPFORD COURTENAY, a pleasant village, 5 miles N.E. by N. of Okehampton, has in its parish 1239 souls, and 7962 acres of land, including 342 acres of waste; the hamlets of Willey and Croscombe; and the large village of STICKELPATH. The latter is on the Exeter and Launceston road, about 2½ miles E. of Okehampton, on the banks of the Taw, and has two chapels, two inns, and corn, bone, and woollen mills. . . . The Masters and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor, and patrons of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £47. 2s. 1d., and in 18£1 at £580, and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. G.P. Richards, M.A., who has 80A. of glebe. . . . The Church (St. Andrew,) is a handsome structure, with a tower and six bells. the Snell, Lethbridge, Tickle, and other families, have estates in the parish, and about 4000 acres are copyhold, under King's College, and nearly 2000 acres are moors and commons. Stickelpath has an ancient chapel of ease, said to have been built by Joan Courtenay, in 1146 . . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett, Sticklepath chapel of ease (not to be confused with St Pauls, Sticklepath, Barnstaple) is now incorporated in Belstone.


Archives & Libraries

Barron, R.A. Finch Foundry Trust & Sticklepath Museum of Rural Industry, Okehampton, Jordan Phillips (n.d.) 46p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library p672.2/STI/BAR]



Pyke, Richard. Men and memories. London: Epworth Press (1948) 144p.

Shields, Helen. Delving Deeper into Death, Disease and Disability: Case No. 1, Devon Family Historian, vol. 185, (2023) pp.10-11. [Case is of 11-month old Baby Battershill who died of Convulsions in Sticklepath in 1837.]



Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]


Church History

Sampford Courtenay - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).

Williams, H. Fulford. The Rectors of Sampford Courtenay. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 26 (1954-55) pp.75-79.

The Parish Church of Saint Andrew Sampford Courtenay. [SoG Library: Devon tracts box]


Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1558 are held in the Devon Record Office.

The Sampford Courtenay Parish Registers are available on microfiche from Harry Galloway Publishers and Booksellers, The Cottage, Manor Terrace, Paignton, Devon TQ3 3RQ.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their Devon Parish List.

Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):

  • Wesleyan Chapel, Sticklepath: Registers for c1815-37 - see Okehampton (PRO RG 4/1089)
  • Methodist Chapel, Sticklepath: Registers for 1815-80, 1812 (C), 1839-70 (M) at DRO

Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

The Deanery of Okehampton: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashbury, Beaworthy, Belstone, Bratton Clovelly, Broadwoodkelly, Exbourne, Germansweek, Hatherleigh, Highampton, Honeychurch, Inwardleigh, Jacobstowe,Monkokehampton, Northlew, Okehampton and Sampford Courtenay. Photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2011). [Ashbury Mar: 1755-1810; Beaworthy Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1758-1837, Bur: 1760-1837; Belstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1837; Bratton Clovelly Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadwoodkelly Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1838; Exbourne Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Germansweek Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1756-1837, Bur: 1813-1840; Hatherleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Highampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1747-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Honeychurch Bapt: 1813-1842, Mar: 1757-1837, Bur: 1813-1842; Inwardleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1790-1837; Jacobstowe Bapt: 1813-1852, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Monkokehampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; Northlew Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Okehampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Okehampton Independent Chapel Bur: 1829-1837; Sampford Courtenay Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]


Description & Travel

Section on Sampford Courtenay  from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.

Conservation Area Appraisal for Sticklepath - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.

You can see pictures of Sampford Courtenay which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Denise Hunt who invites queries and lookup requests.

Shields, Helen. Walking Sticklepath through the Centuries: Part 3, Devon Family Historian, vol. 172, (2019) pp.19-23. [Finch family]

Taylor, Jane. Who was Wiliam Hellyons, Devon Family Historian, vol. 157, (2016) p.32.

Westaway, Shirley A. The Westaway Run at Western Port, The Author (2000). [Sampford Courtenay to Ballarat] [Devon FHS Library p929.2/WES]



Finch Foundry at Sticklepath: Industrial Heritage on Dartmoor - an Escape to Britain blogpost.

M., R.B. Sampford Courtenay, 1549. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 12:5, (1923) pp.225-226. - [Differing accounts of immediate cause of Prayer Book Rebellion].

Pouya, Stephanie. The Book of Sampford Courtenay with Honeychurch: The histry of a rural community, Halsgrove (2003) 192 pp. [ISBN 18411424992]

Shields, Helen. Walking Sticklepath through the Centuries: Part 1, Devon Family Historian, vol. 170, (2019) pp.20-25.

Shields, Helen. Walking Sticklepath through the Centuries: Part 2, Devon Family Historian, vol. 171, (2019) pp.19-23.

Shields, Helen. Walking Sticklepath through the Centuries: Part 3, Devon Family Historian, vol. 172, (2019) pp.19-23.

Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the parish of Sampford Courtenay, Devon. Typescript (1950) 18p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sxB/SAM 3/0001/WIL]

Williams, H. Fulford. Sampford Courtenay and Honeychurch. Dev. Assoc. Trans. 89 (1957) pp225-240: ill, map.

The story of Sticklepath (Dartmoor). Sticklepath Women's Institute (1993) [6], 28, [10]p; ill [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/STI/0001/STI ]



View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS632012 (Lat/Lon: 50.794175, -3.942372), Sampford Courtenay which are provided by:



Lawrence, Judith. The Manufacture of Agricultural Hand Tools.Family Tree Magazine (Sep 1998) p. 3 [About the Finch Brothers Foundry, now a museum.]

Major, J.Kenneth. Finch Brothers foundry, Sticklepath, Okehampton, Devon. Newton Abbot: David & Charles (1969) 16p: ill, plan.



Hutchinson, Victor W. A village school chronicle 1879-1979. [s.l.]: [The Author] (1979) 63p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - p372/STI/HUT]