[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"SYDENHAM-DAMEREL, (or South Sydenham), a parish in the hundred of Lifton, county Devon, 5 miles N.W. of Tavistock, its post town. The village is situated on the river Tamar, which separates it from Cornwall. Traces of copper and lead have been discovered, and slate is quarried. The northern extremity of the parish is crossed by the Tavistock and Launceston road. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £207. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities consist of Tremayne's, £70 per annum. There is an infant school, supported by voluntary contributions. The Bible Christians have a chapel. The executors of the late John Carpenter, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landowners.