Hide

hide
Hide

UPLYME

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"UPLYME, a parish in the hundred of Axminster, county Devon, 1 mile N.W. from Lyme Regis, its post town. The village is at the eastern extremity of the county. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of woollen cloth, and others in the stone quarries. A Roman bath and tesselated pavement have been discovered near the village. There are extensive beds of blue and white lias. The soil is of various qualities, with a subsoil of chalk and limestone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £386. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, was restored about 1852. There is a National school for both sexes. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel. Rhode Hill House is the principal residence. The Hon. R. Talbot, Esq., is lord of the manor."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003