"UPLYME, a large scattered village, is pleasantly situated at the most eastern extremity of Devon, only about a mile N.W. of the town and sea-port of Lyme-Regis, in Dorsetshire. Its parish is a suburb of that town, and comprises 1057 inhabitants, and 3149A. 2R. 5P. of land. The manor was anciently held by Glastonbury Abbey, and afterwards passed to the Drake and Tucker families. The Hon. Sir John Talbot, K.C.B., admiral of the Blue, is now lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish. He has a handsome seat here called Rhode Hill House. Robert Bourchier Wrey, Esq., of Ware Cliff House; James Davidson, Esq., and the Rev. C.W. Ethelston, M.A., have estates in the parish. The latter is also patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £20. 8s. 11½d., and in 1831 at £386. The glebe is 35A., and the Rectory House is a handsome residence, which was enlarged and much improved in 1838, when the tithes were commuted for £461. The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is an ancient structure, with a remarkably low tower. The Methodists and Baptists have chapels here. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.