"WALKHAMPTON, a scattered village, in the valley of the little river Walkham, on the western borders of Dartmoor, 5 miles S.E. of Tavistock, has in its parish 717 inhabitants, and 10,501 acres of land, including 6602 acres of open common and wastes in Dartmoor; part of the village of Horrabridge, and many scattered farms. Sir Ralph Lopes, Bart., is lord of the manor, owner of a great part of the soil, and of the barton of Gnatham, impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £9. 14s. 7d, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. D.S. Stone, M.A., who has a good residence and 18A. 2R. 14P. of glebe. . . The Church is a neat structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. The FREE SCHOOL was founded in 1719, by Mrs. Eliz. Modyford . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.