"WERRINGTON, a village and parish, on the banks of a rivulet, near the river Tamar and the Bude Canal, two miles N. of Launceston, has 685 souls, and about 5000 acres of land, adjoining Cornwall, and including Yeolmbridge, Druxen, Eggbeer, and other farms, &c. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor, but the Barton estate belongs to the Duke of Northumberland, who resides occasionally at Werrington House, a neat mansion, with a well-wooded park, which was purchased by his grandfather of the Morice family, who were seated here in the 17th century. E. Coote, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates here. The manor was given by Ordulph to Tavistock Abbey, and was granted at the dissolution to John Lord Russell. The parish is in the Archdeaconry of Cornwall, and Deanery of Trigg Major. The Church (St. Martin and St. Giles,) was rebuilt in 1742, and is a handsome structure, with a large tower, and two small ones at the west end. . . . The Rev. J.B. Messinger is the incumbent, and has a handsome residence, built about five years ago, by the Duke of Northumberland,. at the cost of about £1000." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Cornwall and the Diocese of Exeter.
Peskett: This parish lay in the County of Devon until 1966 when it was transferred to Cornwall (a small part remains in Devon).