A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
ALLINGTON [sic] (WEST), a parish in the hundred of STANBOROUGH, county of DEVON, 1 mile (W. S. W.) from Kingsbridge, containing 778 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacies of South Huish, Malborough, and South Milton annexed, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £62. 16. 10½., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a small endowed charity school. Cider of a peculiarly fine quality is made here. Bowringsleigh, an old mansion in the Elizabethan style, is still in good preservation: a more ancient seat, belonging to the family of Bastard, has been converted into a farm-house.