"WEST DOWN, a parish in the hundred of Braunton, in the county of Devon, 4 miles S. of Ilfracombe, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Barnstaple. It contains the hamlets of Dean, Trimstone, and Willincot. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £190, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient stone structure in the form of a cross, with tower and five bells. It has some curious monuments, including one to the memory of Sir J. Stowford, a justice of the Common Pleas in 1343. There is a National school.