"WHITCHURCH, a small scattered village, on an eminence, 2 miles S.E. of Tavistock, has in its parish 918 souls, and 6450 acres of land, of which 2523 acres are open commons and wastes, on the borders of Dartmoor, where there are several lead and tin mines, the largest of which is the Wheal Anderton Tin Mine, which has long been successfully managed by Mr. James Carpenter. Colonel Harris is lord of the manor of Whitchurch; and that of Walreddon belongs to Wm. Courtenay, Esq. The parish has a few neat mansions, and many scattered farm houses, mostly small. Grenofen is beautifully situated among romantic scenery, and was rebuilt by J.M. Knighton, Esq. Halwell House was for 300 years the seat of the Glanvilles. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a venerable structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. In the chancel are several handsome monuments, belonging to the Pengelly and Mooringe families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16. 5s. 5d., and in 1831 at £240, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Sleeman, B.A., . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.
Brown, Mike. Whitchurch (Full Survey). In Dartmoor Region Monumental Inscriptions Indexes, Vols. 5 and 6. Dartmoor Press, PO Box 132, Plymouth PL4 7YL.
Brown, Mike. Guide Notes to Monuments in Devon Churches & Graveyards: Whitchurch. The Dartmoor Press. 16pp. [Courtenay, Mooringe, Pengelly]
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Recording of Devon Tombstones, Whitchurch Churchyard. Whitchurch Womens' Institute. (1975) [SoG DE/M15]
Whitchurch - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Parish Registers going back to 1559 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1838, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Brown, Mike. Pre-1754 Marriage Index for Whitchurch.. Dartmoor Press, P.O. Box 132, Plymouth PL4 7YL (1999)
Brown, Mike. Whitchurch 1754-1812 Burials Index. Dartmoor Press, P.O. Box 132, Plymouth PL4 7YL (1999)
The Deanery of Tamerton, CD, Devon Family History Society, Exeter (2003). [Contains indexes: Bere Ferrers - Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Bickleigh - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1811-1837; Buckland Monachorum - Baptisms, 1813-1839 Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Egg Buckland - Baptisms 1813-1839 Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Mary Tavy - Baptisms 1813-1840 Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Meavy - Baptisms 1813-1839 Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1838; Peter Tavy - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1790-1837; Sampford Spiney - Baptisms 1813-1839 Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1770-1837; Sheepstor - Baptisms 1813-1839 Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1856; Tamerton Foliot - Baptisms 1813-1840 Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Walkhampton - Baptisms 1813-1840 Marriages, 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Whitchurch - Baptisms 1813-1839 Marriages, 1754-1838, Burials 1813-1837]
Section on Whitchurch from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whitchurch to another place.
Dartmoor Press Online Magazine's page for this parish (archived copy), with articles, transcriptions, publication details, etc. - highly recommended.
Bone, Mark. St Andrew's, Whitchurch, Devon Family Historian, vol. 169, (2019) p.30. [Re Bone and Scobell]
Glanville of Halwell: extracts from the registers of Whitchurch, Co. Devon, Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica (New Series), 3, 1880, pp. 418-9 & 431-2.
Brown, Mike. Guide to the Heraldry in St Andrews Church, Whitchurch, Whitchurch, St Andrews Church (2000).
You can see the administrative areas in which Whitchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Beebe, W.N.P. History of Whitchurch. Trans. Devon Assoc. 46 (1914) pp. 265-277. [Index]
Cook, Ken. Whitchurch Parish, Tavistock and District Local History Society (2002). [Tree House Library p942.35/WHI]
Maker, Phil. Whitchurch of yesteryear, Exeter: Obelisk Publications (2005) 32 pp., mainly ill. [ISBN 1903585309]
Woodcock, Gerry. The Book of Whitchurch: A Parish and a Community, Halsgrove (2004) 160 pp. [ISBN 1841143340] [Index]
Whitchurch Down: a study by members of Tavistock Local History Society. [Tavistock?]: [The Society] (1990) 31p: ill, maps. [Westcountry Studies Library - px333.2/WHI/TAV]
Brown, Mike. Whitchurch. In "Dartmoor Tithe Apportionments, Vol. 1". The Dartmoor Press (c1997) 16p.
Reichel, O.J. The Honour of Plymton and the Whitchurch Fee. Devon Notes & Queries, vol. I, (January 1900 to January 1901), pp. 77-79. [Transcript]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX492726 (Lat/Lon: 50.533685, -4.129211), Whitchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)