Cambridge town in South Shoebury parish
Cambridge Town is at the mouth of the Thames Estuary, near the E. end of the borough of Southend-on-Sea, 1 mile before Shoeburyness.
". . . the Garrison lies between 'Shoebury Village' and 'Cambridge Town", the latter deriving its name from the public house named after the Duke of Cambridge. In the middle of the 19th century there was very little here apart from a few farmhouses, hardly any of which still exist. In 1851 the total population of the parish was approximately 151. The area, like so many of the South and East Coasts, was probably one in which a lot of smuggling took place, the marshes and hidden creeks lending themselves very well to such activities. . . The Garrison came in the middle of the 19th century and Shoebury began to grow. . . Cambridge Town began a little later than the first part of the Village High Street." [Welcome to Southend]
- Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911, which includes most copies held at the ERO, Wharf Rd, Chelmsford. More information on other ways to view these census returns on the Essex
- A full list of Essex churches
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cambridge town in South Shoebury parish to another place.
- Cambridge Town was a member of the Rochford Hundred
You can see the administrative areas in which Cambridge town in South Shoebury parish has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ931847 (Lat/Lon: 51.528185, 0.782399), Cambridge town in South Shoebury parish which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Cambridge Town was a member of the Rochford Poor Law Union