Essex Poor Law Unions
The County forms sixteen Poor Law Unions, below is a list of these Unions, with the places included in them.
- Basildon (Chapelry), Billericay, Bowers Gifford (Hamlet), Brentwood, Childerditch, Downham, Dunton, East Horndon, Great Burstead, Hutton, Ingrave, Laindon, Lee Chapel, Little Burstead, Little Warley, Mountnessing, Nevendon, North Benfleet, Pitsea, Ramsdon Bellhouse, Ramsdon Crays, Shenfield, South Weald, Vange, West Horndon, Wickford
- Black Notley, Bocking, Bradwell-Juxta-Coggeshall, Braintree, Cressing, Fairstead, Faulkbourne, Feering, Finchingfield, Great Coggeshall, Great Saling, Hatfield Peverel, Kelvedon, Little Coggeshall, Markshall, Panfield, Pattiswick, Rayne, Rivenhall, Shalford, Stisted, Terling, Wethersfield, White Notley, Wickford
- Boreham, Broomfield, Buttsbury, Chelmsford, Chignal Smealy, Chignal St. James, Danbury, East Hanningfield, Fryerning, Good Easter, Great Baddow, Great Leighs, Great Waltham, Ingatestone, Little Baddow, Little Leighs, Little Waltham, Margaretting, Mashbury, Pleshey, Rettendon, Roxwell, Runwell, Sandon, South Hanningfield, Springfield, Stock, West Hanningfield, Widford, Woodham Ferrers, Writtle
- Berechurch, Greenstead-Juxta-Colchester, Lexden, and these Colchester Churches, All Saints, Holy Trinity, St. Botolph, St. Giles, St. James, St. Leonard, St. Martin, St. Mary-at-the-Walls, St. Mary Magdalen, St. Michael, St. Nicholas, St. Peter, St. Runwald
- Aythorpe Roding, Bardfield Saling, Barnston, Broxted, Chickney, Felstad, Great Bardfield, Great Canfield, Great Dunmow, Great Easton, Hatfield Broad Oak, High Easter, High Roding, Leaden Roding, Lindsell, Little Bardfield, Little Canfield, Little Dunmow, Little Easton, Margaret Roding, Stebbing, Takeley, Thaxted, Tilty, White Roding
- Chigwell, Chingford, Epping, Great Parndon, Harlow, Latton, Little Parndon, Loughton, Magdalen Laver, Matching, Nazeing, Netteswell, North Weald Bassett, Roydon, Sheering, Theydon Bois, Theydon Garnon
- Castle Hedingham, Colne Engaine, Earls Colne, Gosfield, Great Maplestead, Great Yeldham, Halstead, Little Maplestead, Little Yeldham, Pebmarsh, Sible Hedingham, Stambourne, Tilbury-Juxta-Clare, Toppesfield, White Colne
- Abberton, Aldham, Birch, Boxted, Chappel, Copford, Dedham, East Donyland, Easthorpe, East Mersea, Fingringhoe, Fordham, Great Horkesley, Great Tey, Great Wigborough, Inworth, Langenhoe, Langham, Layer Breton, Layer-de-la-Haye, Layer Marney, Lexden, Little Horkesley, Little Tey, Little Wigborough, Marks Tey, Messing, Mount Bures, Peldon, Salcott-cum-Varley, Stanway, Virley, Wakes Colne, West Bergholt, West Mersea, Wivenhoe, Wormingford
- Althorne, Asheldham, Bradwell-on-Sea, Burnham, Cold Norton, Creeksea, Dengie, Goldhanger, Great Braxted, Great Totham, Hazeleigh, Heybridge, Langford, Latchingdon-cum-Snoreham, Little Braxted, Little Totham, Maldon, Mayland, Mundon, North Fambridge, Purleigh, St. Lawrence, Southminster, Steeple, Stow Maries, Tillingham, Tollesbury, Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Tolleshunt Knights, Tolleshunt Major, Wickham Bishops, Woodham Mortimer, Woodham Walter and these Maldon Churches All Saints, St. Mary, St. Peter
- Abbess Roding, Beauchamp Roding, Berners Roding, Blackmore, Bobbingworth, Chipping Ongar, Doddinghurst, Fyfield, Greenstead, High Laver, High Ongar, Kelvedon Hatch, Lambourne, Little Laver, Moreton, Navestock, Norton Mandeville, Shelley, Shellow Bowells, Stanford Rivers, Stapleford Abborts, Stapleford Tawney, Stondon Massey, Theydon Mount, Willingale Doe, Willingale Spain
- Aveley, Bulphan, Chadwell St. Mary, Corringham, East Tilbury, Fobbing, Grays Thurrock, Horndon on the Hill, Langdon Hills, Little Thurrock, Mucking, North Ockendon, Orsett, South Ockendon, Stanford-le-Hope, Stifford, West Thurrock, West Tilbury
Rochford Poor Law Union formally came into being on 30th October 1835, consisting of 23 parishes (listed below). Rochford Union workhouse was built in 1837 on a site at the north side of West Street in Rochford. Added to the site in 1858 was an infirmary, and in 1865 also chapel. In 1920, the workhouse infirmary became known as Rochford Hospital.
The surviving records are held at the Essex record Office in the reference G/Ro Title [ROCHFORD UNION] series.
- Ashingdon, Barling, Canewdon, Canvey Island, Eastwood, Foulness, Great Stambridge, Great Wakering, Hadleigh, Haslingwood, Hawkwell, Hockley, Leigh-on-Sea, Little Stambridge, Little Wakering, North Shoebury, Paglesham, Prittlewell, Rawreth, Rayleigh, Rochford, Shopland, South Benfleet, South Fambridge, South Shoebury, Southchurch, Sutton, Thundersley
- Barking, Cranham, Dagenham, Great Warley, Havering-atte-Bower, Hornchurch, Rainham, Romford, Upminster, Wennington
- Arkesden, Ashdon, Chrishall, Clavering, Debden, Elmdon, Great Chesterford, Great Sampford, Hempstead, Langley, Little Chesterford, Little Sampford, Littlebury, Newport, Quendon, Radwinter, Rickling, Saffron Walden, Strethall, Wendens Ambo, Wendens Lofts, Wicken Bonhunt, Widdington, Wimbish
- Alresford, Ardleigh, Beaumont-Cum-Moze, Bradfield, Dovercourt, Elmstead, Frating, Frinton, Great Bentley, Great Bromley, Great Clacton, Great Holland, Great Oakley, Harwich, Kirby-le-Soken, Lawford, Little Bentley, Little Bromley, Little Clacton, Little Holland, Little Oakley, Manningtree, Mistley, Ramsey, St. Osyth, Tendring, Thorpe-le-Soken, Thorrington, Walton-le-Soken, Weeley, Wix, Wrabness