"BISHOP STOKE, a parish and large village in the hundred of Fawley, in the county of Southampton, 7 miles to the S.W. of Winchester, and 73 miles from London. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway. A branch line runs from this place to Gosport and Portsmouth, and another branch line to Salisbury. The village, which is large and well-built, is situated in a well-wooded country on the east bank of the river Itchin, which is navigable to Winchester. The county cheese market, established in 1852, is a spacious square enclosure, surrounded by sheds and stores, and having ready communication with the several railways which centre at Barton, on the west side of the river Itchin. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]