"DROXFORD, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Bishop's Waltham, Droxford division, in the county of Southampton, 32 miles N.E. of Bishop's Waltham, and 8 N.E. of Botley station. It is situated on a small stream, and contains the hamlets of Swanmore and Midlington, and the tything of Droxford Street. The village is considerable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £744, in the patronage of the bishop. There are also two district churches: Shidfield, value £100, and Swanmore, value £149, both of them perpetual cure.,* and in the gift of the rector. The parish church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure in the early Norman style of architecture, with square tower, clock, and four bells. There is a National school. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]