"HOUND, a parish in the hundred of Mainsbridge, Southampton division of county Hants, 3¾ miles S.E. of Southampton, its post town. The village is situated on the shore of the Southampton Water. The parish contains Sholing and Netley, a great portion of the village deriving its name from the latter place. The land is chiefly arable, with some pasture and woodland, and a large extent of common. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £345 6s. 8d., and the vicarial for £172 13s. 4d. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|St Edward the Confessor, Netley Abbey|
|St Francis of Assisi, Sholing|
|St Mary, Hound|
|St Mary, Sholing|
|Baptist Church, Sholing|
|The Annunciation, Netley Abbey|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hound to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hound has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Hound from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU462100 (Lat/Lon: 50.887731, -1.344581), Hound which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)