"HOUND, a parish in the hundred of Mainsbridge, Southampton division of county Hants, 3¾ miles S.E. of Southampton, its post town. The village' is situated on the shore of the Southampton Water. The parish contains Sholing and Netley, a great portion of the village deriving its name from the latter place. The land is chiefly arable, with some pasture and woodland, and a large extent of common. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £345 6s. 8d., and the vicarial for £172 13s. 4d.
The lands called Netley Grange are tithe free. Here are the ruins of Netley Abbey, founded in 1239 for Cistercian monks. At the Dissolution its revenues were valued at £160 2s. 9d. Near the abbey, and adjoining Southampton Water, is Netley Castle, originally built by Henry VIII. as a fort, but recently enlarged and converted into a seat. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £215, in the patronage of Winchester College. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is also a district church at Bursledon, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £110. The site of Netley Abbey was granted at the Dissolution to the Marquis of Winchester, and afterwards came to the Earl of Hertford, who entertained Queen Elizabeth here in 1560. "ITCHIN, a village in the parish of Hound, near the mouth of the river Itchin, county Hants, 1 mile E. of Southampton. "NETLEY, a tything in the parish of Hound, hundred of Upper Mainsbridge, county Hants, 3 miles S.E. of Southampton. It is situated on Southampton Water, near Hound Castle. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £128. The church is a modern structure. "SATCHELL, a tything in the parish of Hound, county Hants, 3 miles S.E. of Southampton. It is in conjunction with Hound. "SHOLING, a tything in the parish of Hound, county Hants, 3 miles S.E. of Southampton. "WOOLSTON, a tything in the parish of Hound, hundred of Mansbridge, county Hants, 2½ miles S.E. of Southampton. It is a station on the Southampton and Netley branch of the London and South-Western railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]