"NURSLING, (or Nutshalling), a parish in the hundred of Redbridge, county Hants, 2 miles N. of Redbridge, its railway station and post town, 32 1 of Romsey, and 5 N.W. of Southampton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Romsey to Southampton, near the Andover canal and river Anton, or Test. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. About half the land is arable, the remainder meadow and pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £550, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a stone and brick structure, with a tower surmounted by a wooden spire. Tho interior has a monument of the Mill family. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, which goes to Crammer's Sunday-school. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a private lunatic asylum, called Grove Place, which was formerly a hunting-seat of Queen Elizabeth, and is approached by an avenue of lime trees. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nursling to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Nursling has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Nursling from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU376159 (Lat/Lon: 50.941526, -1.465731), Nursling which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)