National Gazetteer (1868) - Privett
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"PRIVETT, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of East Meon, Petersfield division of county Hants, 6 miles N.W. of Petersfield, and 13 from Winchester. Alton is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. It was called by the Saxons Pruntesflod and Pryfeas. The living is a curacy* annexed to the rectory* of West Meon, in the diocese of Winchester. The church has a tower containing five bells. There is a free school, also a girls' school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]