"YATELEY, a parish and village in the hundred of Crondall, county Hants, 4½ miles N.W. of Farnborough, 6 N.E. of Winchfield station on the London and South-Western, and 3 from the Blackwater station on the Reading and Reigate railways. The parish is situated on the road from London to Southampton, near the river Blackwater, and comprises the tythings of Yateley Cove and Hawley, which last was constituted a district parish in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, and in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church is dedicated to St. Peter, and at Hawley is another church, recently erected for the district of Hawley and Cove. The Baptists have a chapel. There is a National school, partially endowed by Mary Barker in 1706. The charities produce about £75 per annum. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]