"YATELEY, a parish and village in the hundred of Crondall, county Hants, 4½ miles N.W. of Farnborough, 6 N.E. of Winchfield station on the London and South-Western, and 3 from the Blackwater station on the Reading and Reigate railways. The parish is situated on the road from London to Southampton, near the river Blackwater, and comprises the tythings of Yateley Cove and Hawley, which last was constituted a district parish in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, and in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church is dedicated to St. Peter, and at Hawley is another church, recently erected for the district of Hawley and Cove. The Baptists have a chapel. There is a National school, partially endowed by Mary Barker in 1706. The charities produce about £75 per annum. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Yateley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Yateley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Yateley from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU831574 (Lat/Lon: 51.309778, -0.808955), Yateley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- TheYateley Society has an interest in local history. It also has an extensive archive for the parish. Items frequently appear on Twitter.