Hide

Dilwyn, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DILWYN, a parish in the hundred of Stretford, in the county of Hereford, 2 miles N.E. of Weobly, and 54 S. of Leominster. It contains Church Dilwyn and Dilwyn Sollars. The surface is diversified with hills, in which several small streams take their rise. The village is agricultural, and the land nearly equally divided between arable and pasture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese* of Hereford, value £381, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an old stone structure, partly in the Norman, and partly in the Elizabethan style of architecture, and contains a font, and monuments to the Phillips and Lambe families. The charities amount to £35 per annum. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel at Church Dilwyn, a quarter of a mile from here. There is a National school for both sexes. Captain Peploe is lord of the manor."

"FAWLEY, a township in the parish of Dilwyn, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 2 miles N.E. of Weobly."

"HAVEN-WITH-THE-HEADLAND, a township in the parish of Dilwyn, county Hereford, 2 miles N.E. of Weobly."

"HURST, a township in the parish of Dilwyn, county Hereford, 1 mile N. of Weobly. It is joined to Newtown."

"LUNTLEY, a township in the parish of Dilwyn, county Hereford, 2 miles N.W. of Weobly."

"NEWTOWN, a township in the parish of Dilwyn, county Hereford, 1 mile W. of Weobly. It is joined with Hurst to form a township."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]