"ABRAM, a chapelry in Wigan parish, Lancashire on the Wigan and Newton railway, and Wigan and Leigh canal, 3½ miles SSE of Wigan. Acres, 1,965. Real property, £8,925,-of which £4,125 are in mines. Pop., 911. Houses, 173. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church was built in 1843. There are an endowed school, and charities £36."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Abram.
The Register Office covering the Abram area is Wigan.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Abram to another place.
"ABRAM, a township in the parish of Wigan, and hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of Wigan. It is situated on the Leigh canal and the Newton railway. The population has been increasing of late years, and is chiefly employed in the collieries. The living is a curacy, value £120, in the diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of the rector."
In 1835 Abram was a township in the parish of Wigan.
You can see the administrative areas in which Abram has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Abram and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD615010 (Lat/Lon: 53.504305, -2.582532), Abram which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)