CULCHETH, a township and a sub-district in Leigh district, Lancashire. The township is in Newchurch-Kenyon parish; lies on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 3 miles S of Leigh; and has a church, Methodist chapels, an endowed school for boys and girls, and charities £49. Acres, 5,361. Real property, £10,339. Pop., 2,214. Houses, 444. Culcheth Hall is the seat of the Withingtons. The sub-district includes also two townships of Leigh parish. Acres, 10,427. Pop., 10,881. Houses, 2,204.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Culcheth.
|Church Lane, Newchurch in Culcheth, Church of England|
|Church of the Transfiguration, Birchwood, Church of England|
|Ellesmere Rd, Methodist, Culcheth|
|Fearnhead Lane Independent Methodist, Risley|
|Hob Hey Lane Independent Methodist, Twiss Green|
|Risley, Primitive Methodist|
|Cross Lane, Risley, Presbyterian|
|Thomas Risley Church, Locking Stumps, Presbyterian|
The Register Office covering the Culcheth area is Wigan and Leigh.
Information from Culcheth Village Online.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Culcheth to another place.
"CULCHETH, (or Newchurch) a township in the parish of Winwick, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles S. of Leigh. The village, which is large, contains the Union poorhouse. The charities produce about £50 a year.
"NEWCHURCH, (or Newchurch Kenyon), a chapelry and township in the parish of Winwick, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles S. of Leigh, 6 E. by S. of Newton-in-Makerfield, and 5 N. of Warrington. It is situated near the Sankey canal and the line of the North-Western railway. The inhabitants are partly engaged in the cotton-mills and in the manufacture of hardware. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £169. The living is a rectory with the curacy of Bury Lane annexed, in the diocese of Chester, value £180. The church is a modern edifice containing 365 free sittings.
"RISLEY, a moss in the hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Warrington, and 18 E. of Liverpool. It is situated in the valley of the river Mersey, near the Sankey and Bridgwater canals."
"BURY LANE, a hamlet in the township of Culcheth, or Newchurch, and parish of Winwick, hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the S. of Leigh. It gives name to a station on the Liverpool and Manchester railway. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Newchurch Kenyon, in the diocese of Chester."
In 1835 Culcheth was a township in the parish of Winwick.
You can see the administrative areas in which Culcheth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Culcheth and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ665940 (Lat/Lon: 53.441519, -2.506004), Culcheth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)