Grimsargh with Brockholes
GRIMSARGH is a township, 4 miles north-east from Preston, with a station on the Preston and Longridge section of the London and North Western and Lancashire and Yorkshire joint railway, and was formed into a parish 14 May 1875, from the civil parish of Preston, and comprises the townships of Grimsargh-with-Brockholes and Elston, in the Blackpool division of the county, Amounderness petty sessional division and hundred, Preston union and county court district, Preston rural Deanery, Lancaster archdeaconery and diocese of Manchester. Part of the township of Grimsargh, by the Preston improvement act, 1880 (43 & 44 Vic. cap. 118) is included within the extended borough of Preston.
BROCKHOLES is on the north bank of the Ribble, 2.5 miles east from Preston station.
from Kelly's Lancashire Directory, 1895
Local studies information is held at Preston library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Grimsargh.
The Register Office covering the Grimsargh area is Preston and South Ribble
GRIMSARGH, a township and a chapelry in Preston parish, Lancashire. The township is conjoint with Brockholes; lies on the Preston and Longridge railway, n ear the river Ribble, 4 miles NE of Preston; and has a station on the railway. Post town, Preston. Acres, 1,945. Real property, £3,258. Pop., 301. house, 55. Pop. of G., exclusive of B., 247. house, 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. A. Cross, Esq. The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Pop., 354. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £77.* Patron, the Vicar of Preston. The church was recently restored and enlarged; consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with a porch; and has a brass of the Cross family.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Grimsargh with Brockholes to another place.
"GRIMSARGH-WITH-BROCKHOLES, a township and chapelry in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, county palatine Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Preston, its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Ribble, which is here crossed by a wooden bridge. The Preston and Longridge railway has a station here. The village is small. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £77, in the patronage of the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a plain structure with fine E. window of stained glass. It has been much beautified and enlarged. The charities are about £4 per annum. There is a public school, partly endowed. Grimsargh Hall and Red Scar are the principal residences. William A. Cross, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BROCKHOLES, a township in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the E. of Preston. It is united with Grimsargh."
You can see the administrative areas in which Grimsargh with Brockholes has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Grimsargh and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD578326 (Lat/Lon: 53.787751, -2.641316), Grimsargh with Brockholes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)