Haslingden, Lancashire genealogy

HASLINGDEN, a town, a township-chapelry, a subdistrict, and a district in Lancashire. The town stands adjacent to the East Lancashire railway, near Rossendale forest, 4 miles S by E of Accrington, and 16 N by W of Manchester. Its name is probably derived from hazel brushwood, which formerly abounded on the hills and glens around it. The older part of the town is on au acclivity, irregularly built, with Church street for its principal thoroughfare; while the newer part declines toward the valley, presents an improved appearance, and has Dearden gate for its principal thoroughfare. The town hall, in George street, was built in 1852; and is used for petty sessions, and for county courts. A police station adjoins the town hall. The Haslingden institute, in Dearden gate, was built in 1861. News rooms and reading rooms are in George street. Extensive premises of a gas and coke company were erected in 1864. St. James' church was rebuilt in 1780, on the site of a previous church; has a tower, rebuilt in 1828; comprises nave, chancel, and aisles: and contains a carved pulpit, an eagle lectern, and a much admired octagonal font upwards of 300 years old. Another church is in Haslingden Grane, and was built in 1865. The Independent chapel, in Dearden gate, was built in 1856, at a cost of £3,000; the Baptist chapel, in Bury road, in 1845; the Wesleyan chapel, in Blackburn road, in 1856, at a cost of £3,000; the Roman Catholic chapel, at West View, in 1862. There are chapels also for Primitive Methodists, Unitarians, and Swedenborgians; and there are two national schools. The workhouse is in Lower lane; and, at the Census of 1861, had 68 inmates. The town has a post office under Manchester, a railway station with telegraph, and two chief inns. A weekly market is he1d on Tuesday; fairs are held on 2 Feb., 8 May, 4 Ju1y, and 2 Oct.; and an agricultural show is held annually. The chief employments are in cotton factories, sheeting and fulling mills, iron foundries, size works, a brewery, and stone quarries. Several mansions and handsome villas are in the neighbourhood. Pop. of the town, in 1851, 6,154; in 1861, 6,929. Houses, 1,295.

The chapelry is in Whalley parish, and comprises 4,420 acres. Real property, £25,479; of which £575 are in gas works, and £1,007 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 9,030; in 1861, 10,109. Houses, 1,935. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The landed property is chiefly divided among five. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. * Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The sub-district contains also the township of Henheads. Acres, 4,780. Pop., 10,320. Houses, 1,975. The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Accrington, containing the two townships of Accrington, in Whalley parish; the sub-district of Edenfield, containing the townships of Tottington Higher End, and Musbury, in Bury parish; the sub-district of Newchurch, conterminate with the township of Newchurch, Dearden Clough, Bacup, and Wolfenden, in Whalley parish; and the sub-district of Rossendale, containing the townships of Higher Booths and Lower Booths, in Whalley parish, and the township of Coupe Lench, Newhallhey, and Hall Carr, in Bury parish. Acres, 26,681. Poor rates in 1863, £29,314. Pop. in 1851, 50,424; in 1861, 69,781. Houses, 13,368. Marriages in 1862, 566; births, 2,653, of which 138 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,513, of which 643 were at ages under 5 years, and 12 at ages above 85. Marriages in the 10 years 1851 60, 5, 541; births, 22,101; deaths, 13,486. The places of worship, in 1851, were 11 of the Church of England, with 9,747 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 1,010 s.; 14 of Baptists, with 5,214 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 190 s.; 2 of Unitarians, with 440 s.; 13 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 6,872 s.; 10 of Primitive Methodists, with 2,681 s.; 5 of the Wesleyan Association, with 1,290 s.; 2 of the New Church, with 750 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 308 s.; and 1 of Jews, with 18 attendants. The schools were 29 public day schools, with 3,912 scholars; 40 private day schools, with 1,629 s.; 66 Sunday schools, with 14,080 s.; and 18 evening schools for adults, with 608 s.

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)