It was founded before 1552. St Lukes church, which dominates the centre of the town, started life as a chantry chapel for the Heywood family. Robert Heywood rebuilt the chapel in 1640. The growth of Heywood as a cotton town in the 19th century meant that the chapel was too small and so in 1859 it was pulled down. The new church was consecrated on St Lukes Day 1862.
The church was consecrated in October 1862 following a very successful public subscription appeal. Prior to it being built,the Old Heywood Chapel, in Market Place, was demolished in 1859 for the new St Lukes to be built. Some details of the Old Heywood Chapel is that it had been altered in 1805 and initials R.H. 1686 standing for Robert Heywood of Heywood hall who had possibly developed around the chapel and Market place close by. St Lukes Church had restoration work done on the church bells around 1911 as a memorial to King Edward V11. The cost of this work was around £480. The trial ringing took place on the 28th March 1911. The bell restorers were Gillett and Johnston of Croydon.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.