HEYWOOD, a town and a chapelry in Heap township, Bury parish, and a sub-district in Bury district, Lancashire. The town stands on the Rochdale canal, and on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the river Roch, 3 miles E of Bury; was, toward the close of last century, a mere village, inhabited chiefly by hand loom fustian weavers; has acquired importance from the working of coal in the adjoining townships of Bamford and Hopwood, and from the enterprise and skill of local capitalists; and is now a populous, busy, thriving seat of various manufactures. Pop. of the town in 1851, 12,194; in 1861, 12,824. Houses, 2,630. The chapelry is less extensive than the town, and was constituted in 1840. Pop., 9,231. Houses, 1,843. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £400. Patron, the Rector of Bury. See Heap. The sub-district contains the chief part of Heap township, an uninhabited portion of Bury township, part of Pilsworth township, and the whole of Hopwood township, the last two in Middleton parish. Pop., 17,591. Houses, 3,582.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) more...
Local studies information is held at Heywood library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Heywood.
|All Souls, Heywood, Church of England|
|St James, Heywood, Church of England|
|St Luke, Heywood, Church of England|
|St Margaret, Heywood, Church of England|
|Rochdale Rd East, Heywood, Congregational|
|Rochdale Rd East Cemetery, Heywood|
|Brittain Hill, Unitarian, Heywood|
The Register Office covering the Heywood area is Rochdale.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Heywood to another place.
"HEYWOOD, a chapelry in the parish of Bury, county Lancaster, 3 miles E. of Bury, and 39½ from Liverpool by the W. section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, on which it is a station. The Manchester and Bury branch has also a station here. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton and woollen mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £400, in the patronage of the Rector of Bury. The church, dedicated to St. Luke, is a modern structure. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Swedenborgians, also a National school."
You can see the administrative areas in which Heywood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Heywood and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD853111 (Lat/Lon: 53.596173, -2.224209), Heywood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)