HOLLINWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Rochdale canal and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1½ mile SSW of Oldham; is modern and large; has a post office under Manchester, and several factories; and is a seat of petty sessions. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 6,298. Houses, 1,289. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church is plain. There are an Independent chapel of 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national-schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Oldham library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Hollinwood.
|St Chad, Hollinwood, Church of England|
|St Margaret of Antioch, Hollinwood, Church of England|
|Bethesda, Hollinwood, Strict Baptist|
|Beulah, Hollinwood, Baptist|
|Hollins Rd, Hollinwood, Baptist|
|Alford St, Hollinwood, Welsh Congregational|
|The Memorial Church, Hollinwood, Congregational|
|Roman Road Cemetery, Hollinwood|
The Register Office covering the Hollinwood area is Oldham.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hollinwood to another place.
"HOLLINGWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Manchester."
In 1835 Hollinwood was a chapelry in the parish of Oldham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hollinwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Hollinwood and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD904022 (Lat/Lon: 53.516386, -2.146247), Hollinwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)