KELLET (OVER), a township-chapelry in Bolton-le-Sands parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster and Kendal canal, 1½ mile E of Carnforth r. station, and 6½ NNE of Lancaster. It contains the hamlet of Capernwray; and its post town is Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 3,202. Real property, £3,886; of which £21 are in quarries. Pop., 425. Houses, 89. Capernwray Hall is the seat of G. Marton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £240.* Patron, Septimus Booker, Esq. The church is early English, has an embattled tower, and was recently restored. A chapel is near Capernwray Hall, and is served by a curate appointed by the vicar. There are a grammar school with £46 a year from endowment, and other charities with £15.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Over Kellett.
The Register Office covering the Over Kellett area is Lancaster.
Information about Over Kellet village.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Over Kellet to another place.
"OVER KELLET, a chapelry in the parish of Bolton le Moors, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 1½ mile from the Carnforth railway station, and 6 N.E. of Lancaster. It is situated on the Lancaster canal, and contains the hamlet of Capermhay. There is abundance of good limestone and freestone, which are extensively quarried for building purposes; also grit, which is raised for millstones. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, value £230. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is an ancient stone structure containing three bells. A proprietary chapel was also built here by George Manton, Esq. The charities produce £61 per annum, of which £46 is the endowment of the village school.
"CRICKLAND, a hamlet in the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles S. of Burton-in-Kendal. It is situated near the Lancaster canal and railway."
"CAPERNWRAY, a hamlet in the chapelry of Over Kellet, and parish of Bolton-le-Sands, hundred of Lonsdale, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the S. of Burton-in-Kendal."
In 1835 Over Kellett was a township in the parish of Bolton le Sands.
You can see the administrative areas in which Over Kellet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD530707 (Lat/Lon: 54.130296, -2.721305), Over Kellet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)