WHEELTON, a township in Leyland parish, Lancashire; 3 miles NE of Chorley. Acres, 1,669. Real property, £4,309; of which £176 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,041; in 1861, 1,360. Houses, 233. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton-mills. Brinscall Hall is the seat of W.Wood, Esq. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Wheelton.
The Register Office covering the Wheelton area is Chorley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wheelton to another place.
"WHEELTON, a township in the parish and hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Chorley."
In 1835 Wheelton was a township in the parish of Leyland.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wheelton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Wheelton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD622208 (Lat/Lon: 53.682402, -2.573934), Wheelton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)