"THE second Ward within the Walls, on the East side of the City, is called Ealdgate, or Aldgate Ward, taking its Name from the said Gate. The principal Street of this Ward beginneth at Aldgate, stretcheth West, where once was a handsome Well, but now a Pump is placed. From thence, the Way being divided in two, the first and principal Street called Aldgate-street, runneth on the South Side to Lime-street Corner; and half that Street down on the Left Hand, is also in this Ward." [A survey of the cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and . . . By John Stow, John Mottley (1733) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for Aldgate Ward.
Aldgate Ward - photographs and maps from the London Burial Grounds website.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aldgate Ward to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aldgate Ward has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Allen, Thomas. The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and parts adjacent. Continued to the present time. London: G. Virtue (1839) 3 vols. [Full text - Aldgate Ward]
Kemp, Richard. Some Notes on the Ward of Aldgate and Its Ancient & Modern History. London: Eden Fisher & Co. (1905) 95 pp. [Full Text]
Stow, John and John Nottley. A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and parts adjacent. London, Printed for T. Read (1733-35) 2 vols. [Full text - Aldgate Ward]
Thomas, Henry The Wards of London: Comprising a Historical and Topographical Description of Every Object of Importance Within the Boundaries of the City. With an Account of All the Companies, Institutions, Buildings, Ancient Remains &c., &c., and Biographical Sketches of All Eminent Persons Connected Therewith London: J. Gifford (1828) 2 vols. [Aldgate Ward]
Blome's 1754 Map of Aldgate Ward.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ334811 (Lat/Lon: 51.512856, -0.078857), Aldgate Ward which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Aldgate Ward Club website - provides a brief illustrated history.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for Aldgate Ward, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.