Anglican Churches in Poplar, Middlesex in 1890
Much of the information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.
Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Poplar in 1890/1905, with the dates of the parish formation if known. Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. In the list below, the name of the church as it appears in LMA Catalogue is shown (in capitals) followed by the words "in LMA database".
C of E Churches in Poplar in 1890, with date founded where known. They were all originally in the parish of Stepney. Bromley St. Leonard split from it in 1536; St Mary, Stratford-atte-Bow in 1719, and Poplar All Saints in 1817. The other parishes are later sub-divisions of these three. For more background information see our list of Stepney churches
I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Poplar or St George in the East or Stepney or Bromley or Bethnal Green etc. and select the one in Middlesex - it can be picky about the spelling of the placename , if no luck first time try all possible variations] ] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. For batch numbers see IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the British Vital Records Index (BVRI - an index on CDROM available for sale from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].
BROMLEY ST.LEONARD (St. Mary's) (High Street) [c.1100, out of Stepney c.1536]. The lady chapel of Benedictine convent of St. Leonard, became the parish church 1536, destroyed by bombing and construction of Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road. Porch and part of a wall remain. 1963 Parish united to St. Mary Bow, St. Mary.
see SAINT MARY, BROMLEY SAINT LEONARD, BROMLEY HIGH STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 5 on outline map
Bromley, All Hallows, Devons Road [Bow Common]  bombed 1940, rebuilt 1954-55 still open united to 'Holy Trinity Congregation' worshipping in Bow Road Methodist Church. Bromley - the latter appears to be from Holy Trinity Mile End Old Town, with which the parish was united in 1989.
see ALL HALLOWS, DEVONS ROAD, DEVONS ROAD, BROMLEY BY BOW, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 6 on outline map
Bromley, St. Gabriel, Chrisp Street,  gone? 1952 Parish united to St. Saviour Poplar and St. Stephen Poplar
see SAINT GABRIEL, CHRISP STREET, CHRISP STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 8 on outline map
Bromley, St. Mary the Virgin 
Bromley, St. Michael and All Angels, St. Leonard's Road  Closed 1975, now gone??? 1971 parish united with All Saints w. St. Frideswide, Poplar and with St. Saviour w. St. Gabriel & St. Stephen Poplar to form Parish of Poplar.
see SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BROMLEY, SAINT LEONARD'S ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 9 on outline map
Bromley, All Hallows, Abbott Road, East India Docks.  Do not confuse with Devons Road or All Saints Poplar. Bombed. Marriage Registers finish 1947. Parish united to St Nicholas Blackwall Stairs 1955 as St Nicholas with All Hallows, Aberfeldy Street.
see ALL HALLOWS, POPLAR, EAST INDIA DOCK ROAD, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 10 on outline map
Bromley, Christ Church, Oxford (Mission District 1884), Lodore Street [became St. Frideswide's]
POPLAR, All Saints, Newby Place, East India Dock Road [1653 chapel-of-ease built by the East India Company in the High Street], separate parish out of Stepney 1821, with new parish church on new site to which registers were transferred from the old chapel, now named St.Matthias [see below]. All Saints' is still open [by 1958 described as being w.St.Nicholas Blackwall and S.Frideswide East India Dock Road]; 1971 united with St. Michael & All Angels Bromley and Poplar St. Saviour w.S.Gabriel & S.Stephen to form Parish of Poplar. Youngs "The Parishes of England", gives 1817 as the date of the new parish, but the building was complete and the registers begin June 1821
see ALL SAINTS, POPLAR, EAST INDIA DOCK ROAD, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 14 on outline map
Poplar, Christ Church, Manchester Road, Isle of Dogs  - still open
see CHRIST CHURCH, MANCHESTER ROAD, MANCHESTER ROAD, ISLE OF DOGS, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 17 on outline map
Poplar, S.Frideswide East India Dock Road/Lodore Street (1914) bombed WW2, closed 1947, not re-built, parish united to All Saints 1952.
Poplar, St. John, Manchester Road, Cubitt Town  now gone?? -1952 parish united with Christ Church.
see SAINT JOHN, CUBITT TOWN, EAST FERRY ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 16 on outline map
Poplar, St. Luke, Strafford Street, Milwall  bombed and demolished, worship in new hall-church, 1952 parish united with Christ Church
see SAINT LUKE, MILLWALL, WEST FERRY ROAD, ISLE OF DOGS, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 15 on outline map
Poplar, St. Matthias, High Street  enclosed East India Company Chapel of 1776 replacing chapel of 1654; a chapel of ease to Stepney until 1817, in Poplar All Saints until 1867, when gained separate parish and registers re-commence: when in 1823 All Saints became the parish church the registers had gone to All Saints. As chapel, licensed for baptisms and burials from opening in 1653, but marriages ceased from 1754 (Hardwicke's Act) until became a parish church in 1867. Marriages take place in Stepney 1754-1821, and in All Saints 1821-1967. Still open 1966. Derelict by 1976, renovated 1991 as a community centre - there is a long description of this church in the "London Docklands" edition (1998) in Pevsner's "The Buildings of England"
see SAINT MATTHIAS, POPLAR, WOODSTOCK TERRACE, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 13 on outline map
Poplar, St. Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs (Yabsley Street) (1900) bombed 1940 and closed 1941, not rebuilt. Mission Church in All Saints East India Dock Road. United with All Hallows, Abbott Road 1955 to form All Hallows, Aberfeldy Street. The LMA have an odd marriage register for June 1967!
see SAINT NICHOLAS CHAPEL OF EASE, BLACKWALL STAIRS, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Poplar, St Nicholas with All Hallows, Aberfeldy Street. Created 1955 by uniting All Hallows, Abbott Road and St Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs. Closed 1968. Reopened 1998 and rededicated 2000, as part of the parish of All Saints, Newby Place.
Poplar, St. Saviour, Northumberland Street [later Northumbria Street]  1952 united with Bromley St. Gabriel & Poplar St. Stephen. 1971 united parish united to All Saints, Poplar. 1975 church closed?
see SAINT SAVIOUR, POPLAR, NORTHUMBRIA STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 11 on outline map
ST.MARY BOW, (Bromley by Bow, otherwise Stratford-le-Bow or Stratford-atte-Bowe - do NOT confuse with Stratford, Essex, the other (east) side of Bow Bridge, originally called Stratford Langthorne).
St. Mary, Bow Road [1311, out of Stepney 1719] sometimes simply called Bow Church [ do NOT confuse with St. Mary-le-Bow, [Sancta Maria d'Arcubus or St. Mary of the Arches, home of the Court of Arches, in the City of London; home of Bow Bells] damaged in WW2 restored, still open.
see SAINT MARY STRATFORD BOW, STRATFORD BOW, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 4 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, St. Stephen, Tredegar Road, Old Ford  demolished after bomb damage, 1940s.1966 parish united to next.
see SAINT STEPHEN, TREDEGAR ROAD, TREDEGAR ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, St. Paul, St. Paul's Road (St. Stephen's Road) Old Ford  [do not confuse with St. Paul Bow Common]. - still open.
see SAINT PAUL, OLD FORD, SAINT STEPHEN'S ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 2 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, St. Mark, Victoria Park ( Cadogan Terrace) rebuilt 1960s Now united with St. Paul's(previous entry)
see SAINT MARK, VICTORIA PARK, OLD FORD ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 1 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, Mission District of Christ Church, Old Ford [???]
OTHER INSTITUTIONS WITH ANGLICAN CHAPELS/CHAPLAINS:
Operative Jewish Converts' Institution ;
Poplar Union ;
Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum ;
City of London Union, Bow Road ;
Church Workers' Training Home.
The link from each parent parish leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868 Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that location. For old maps, on-line or printed, see street and map sites list