St George in the East
Our list giving location and history of Stepney deanery churches includes those in this parish.
Civil registration records for St George in the East parish are now held by Tower Hamlets Register Office, who are developing an index to the records.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. GEORGE IN THE EAST, a parish in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 2 miles E. of St. Paul's, London. Previous to 1727 it formed a hamlet in the parish of Stepney, but is now a metropolitan parish, entirely built over, except such portion as is occupied by the London Docks. See London. [By Cannon Street Road.]
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St George in the East to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St George in the East has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ349808 (Lat/Lon: 51.510033, -0.057492), St George in the East which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)