“ST. JOHN'S WOOD, a suburban district in the parish and borough of St. Marylebone, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3½ miles W.N.W. of St. Paul's, London.
It has communication with the City and West End by the Atlas omnibuses, which leave the Swiss Cottage every ten minutes, and in the Finchley-road is a station of the Blackwall, Kew, and Kingston railway. This place was formerly a small hamlet belonging to the priory of St. John, at Clerkenwell, but upon the formation of the Regent's Park it rapidly rose into importance, and is now chiefly inhabited by merchants, City men of business, professional men, and families with small independencies. It contains several public buildings, as the new colleges for the education of Dissenting ministers, in connection with the London University; the barracks, near the "Eyre Arms;" the Clergy Orphan Asylum for girls, police station of the 'S' division; Marylebone almshouses; and Lord's cricket ground, where the best matches are played. St. John's Chapel was the burial-ground of the parish of St. Marylebone, but is now closed. In it is a tombstone to Joanna Southcote, with a curious inscription. There are several churches, but all modern. Christ Chapel, erected in 1814, is a proprietary chapel, with a conventional district attached to it by the Rector of Christ Church. It contains several monuments and tombs by Chantrey, Wyatt, and other eminent sculptors, and is adorned with Ionic columns. The living is a curacy in the diocese of London, and in the patronage of trustees. St. Mark's, situated in Hamilton-terrace, was built in 1847, at the cost of near £10,000. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £600, in the patronage of the crown. All Saints' is also a perpetual curacy, value £400. St. Stephen's, Avenue-road, was built in 1849, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of London. There are besides several proprietary chapels, and places of worship belonging to the several bodies of Protestant Dissenters. Jackson, the painter; Terry, the actor; Sir E. Landseer, the animal painter; and Professor De Morgan, the eminent mathematician, have been residents here.
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
During the 18th century, St Marylebone parish grew to become one of the wealthiest in London. The church on Marylebone High Street, built 1742, was soon too small to serve this population and relocated in 1817. Archaeological excvaations in 1992 and 2004-6 at the site of the 18th century church recorded 350+ burials, mostly in the graveyard, with some in family vaults or the church crypt. The archaeological results and detailed osteological analysis of 301 individuals were combined with documentary research into the parish and its population, making this one of the largest and most comprehensive studies of a post-medieval London cemetery. This is published as St Marylebone Church and burial ground in the 18th to 19th centuries: excavations at St Marylebone School, 1992 and 2004-6 by Adrian Miles, Natasha Powers, Robin Wroe-Brown, with Don Walker. Museum of London Archaeology Monograph Series. 978-1-901992-79-3.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. MARYLEBONE, a parish and parliamentary borough in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, forming the north-western portion of the metropolis, about 2½ miles N.W. by W. of St. Paul's. It is intersected by the London and North-Western and Under-ground railways, which have several stations in the parish, and by the Regent's canal. It derives its name from the small burn, or bourne, which also gave name to Eyeburn, or Tyburn, and formerly filled reservoirs, whence London was partly supplied with water, and fell into the Thames near Vauxhall Bridge, but has its course now underground. It is bounded by Cleveland-street and the Regent's Park on the E., by the Edgware-road on the W., by Oxford-street on the S., and by Primrose-hill and the Queen's-road on the N., and includes the new suburbs of St. John's Wood, Portland Town, &c." (There is more of this description).<\p>
"MAIDA VALE, (or Maida Hill) a hamlet and suburban district in the parishes of St. Marylebone and Paddington, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, about 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London. The Grand Junction canal passes through the neighbourhood. It is now a fashionable suburb of London, containing many villa residences.
[1868 Gazetteer called it Maida Hill, 1888 and 2003 maps show it as Maida Vale.]
"PORTLAND TOWN, a suburban district in the parish and borough of St. Marylebone, county Middlesex, 3 miles W. by N. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated on the farther side of the Regent's Park. There is a church built by Daukes in 1849, and dedicated to St. Stephen.
[On a 1903 map, it is a substantial area between the N.W. corner of Regent's Park and St. John's Wood.]"
"ST. JOHN'S WOOD, a suburban district in the parish and borough of St. Marylebone, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3½ miles W.N.W. of St. Paul's, London. " (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Marylebone to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Marylebone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Outline map of Parishes in 1903 - parishes are numbered, with list showing names.
For St Marylebone, but not for other deaneries of Middlesex, we have maps which display parish names on map in larger typeface. Alphabetic and numbered lists link to maps, for example St Mark, Upper Hamilton Terrace which then link to each other.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ284821 (Lat/Lon: 51.523228, -0.15063), St Marylebone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)