National Gazetteer (1868) - Lambley
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LAMBLEY, a parish in Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 4½ miles S.W. of Haltwhistle, and 8½ from Alston. Hexham is its post town. It is a station on the Alston branch of the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. The parish is a small agricultural place situated on the South Tyne, and contains the joint townships of Lambley and Asholme. The village consists of a few straggling farmhouses. The land is principally pasture and meadow, with a large tract of common. The surface is rugged and the scenery wild. The river Tyne is here crossed by the viaduct of the Alston and Haltwhistle branch line of railway. There was formerly a small Benedictine nunnery, founded in the reign of King John, and burnt by the Scots in 1296, who plundered and laid waste the neighbourhood. It was subsequently rebuilt, and was given to the Dudley's and Featherstonehaughs- at the Dissolution, when its revenues were returned at £5 15s. 8d. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Durham. The church is an ancient edifice situated on rising ground. It was repaired about twenty years since. Divine service is performed every alternate week. On Castle Hill, the site of an old fortress, are vestiges of a deep moat."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"ASHOLME, a township in the parish of Lambley, western division of Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 4 miles from Haltwhistle."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]