William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FREETHORPE, 8 miles W. by S. of Yarmouth, and 12 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, has its parish in Blofield union, petty sessional division and hundred, Yarmouth county court district and bankruptcy district, Freethorpe polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 400 inhabitants in 1881, living on 903 acres of land. The rateable value is £2222 10s. R.H.V. Walpole, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil, and the remainder belongs to Mrs. T.W. Gilbert, Bradistone hall.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is an ancient building of Early English architecture, and consists of nave with aisles, chancel, and round tower with one bell. The windows are all of the simple lancet shape; and the chancel contains a piscina and several tablets of the Walpole family. The building was handsomely restored, at the expense of the lord of the manor, in 1850, when it was re-roofed and refitted with open benches and a new pulpit. A handsome stained glass window of two lights was also inserted in the east end, and the churchyard was enlarged.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £12, is consolidated with the rectory of Reedham. (See Reedham.) It has 9A. 2R. 30P. of glebe, and was augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1760 and 1784. The two landowners are impropriators of the rectorial tithes.
The School was built by subscription in 1847, at a cost of £200, and is attended by above 70 children. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, built in 1865. Here are almshouses erected by Richard Henry V. Walpole, Esq., and Mrs H.V. Walpole, in 1871, for the use of six poor widows of the parish of Freethorpe.
POST OFFICE at Mr. J.C. Hayes'. Letters delivered at 9 a.m., and despatched at 3 p.m. viâ Acle. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Reedham.
Bailey William fish curer
Chapman Jeremiah beerhouse, Brickmakers' Arms
Cory Christopher harness maker
Cory James harness maker
Craven Miss Anna schoolmistress
England Ernest landowner, Bramerton, and
England Geo. frmr. & landownr. at Acle
Forder Robert farm bailiff
Fowler James shoemaker
George Daniel carpenter
Gilbert Chas. frmr.; h Bradistone hall
Hayes John Clement grocer, coal and corn dealer, &c,
Hindes Christmas engineer and agricultural implement
maker, and thrashing machine proprietor
Jones Henry bricklayer
Pibell Wm. Henry auctioneer and fish salesman; &
Billingsgate, London, Lowestoft, and
Roseberry Thomas carpenter
Rust John constable
Tills David blacksmith & shopkeeper
Wales Isaac J. brick mfr.; h Reedham
Wilkins Wm. vict. Rampant Horse
Wright Adam Collins shoemaker
Youngs Henry basket mkr. & shopkpr
Youngs John shopkeeper
Youngs Robert farmer and carter
Youngs William wheelright, carpenter and blacksmith, &c
CARRIER - John C. Hayes, Freethorpe to Norwich and back, Wed. & Sat.
See also the Freethorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.