"GARBOLDISHAM, a large village in the narrow valley of a small rivulet, 3½ miles S. of East Harling, has a few manufacturers of linen, or hempen cloth. Its parish contains 777 inhabitants, and 1958 acres of land, exclusive of a sheep walk of 740A. The Uphall estate belongs to Sir Wm. Abdy; but the lord of the other manors, and chief owner of the soil, is Crisp Molineux Montgomery, Esq., the patron of the CHURCH (St. John the Baptist,) a large edifice, with a square tower and six bells. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £19. 16s., and in 1831 at £495, and now enjoyed by the Rev. G.S.M. Montgomery, M.A., with 41A. of glebe. Here was formerly another Church (All Saints,) but after being dilapidated, it was taken down in 1734." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Garboldisham is about 9 miles E. of Thetford.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St John the Baptist.
Until 1734, there was also another church, dedicated to All Saints.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), Garboldisham was in Guiltcross Registration District.
This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930, Garboldisham was in Thetford Registration District for civil registration.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Garboldisham to another place.
Garboldisham is in Guiltcross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Guiltcross Hundred
- Description of Guiltcross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Garboldisham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Garboldisham Inclosure Act, 1840.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Garboldisham in the county of Norfolk: 23rd March 1840.
[London, George Edward Eyre and Andrew Spottiswoode, 1840]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM007817 (Lat/Lon: 52.396239, 0.948685), Garboldisham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- See Norfolk People and Families