Norfolk: Voting Registers
Poll for Brothercross Hundred 1768
A copy of the poll for the knights of the shire for the county of Norfolk, taken at Norwich, March 23, 1768 for Brothercross Hundred. [Printed by J.Crouse]
This contains the following parishes where voters resided. The names in brackets "()" are alternative spellings as used in the original poll book.
|Burnham St Andrew|
(Part of Burnham Overy)
(See also Burnham St Andrew)
(See also Burnham Ulph)
(See also Burnham Thorp)
(Part of Burnham Sutton)
North Creake (North Creak)
South Creake (South Creak)
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
|Residence.||Place of Freehold.||Occupiers|
|Clarke Thomas||Burnham Deepdale||---|
|Sydall Daniel||Warham, N. Gr.||Henry Sheppard|
|Vellars [Vellows] Robert||Brancaster||Wm. Hendry|
|Foley Thomas||Burnham Norton||Robert Hammond|
|Rawson [Roston] Charles||Burnham Norton||---|
|Smith Thomas||Burnham Overy||---|
|Walker William||Burnham Norton||---|
|Beeston Edward||Burnham Overy||---|
|Browne [Brown] Thomas||Burnham Overy||Henry Lewis|
|Dennis John||Burnham Overy||---|
[was Burnham St Andrew?]
|Layton John||Burnham Overy||Thomas Futter|
|Monsey [Munsey] Oliver||Burnham Overy||---|
|Rayner John||Burnham Overy||---|
|Emerson Isaac||Themilthorpe, Eyns.||Martin Goose|
|Humphrey John||Burnham Thorpe||---|
|Nelson Edmund, Clerk||Burnham Thorpe||Rectory|
|Burnham Ulph & Sutton.|
|Allison James||Field Dawling (Field Dalling), N. Gr.||Thomas Hurrel|
|Ellis John||Burnham Norton||John Boyce|
|Hatch John, Clerk||Sedgeford, Smith.||Vicarage|
|Moneyment [Moniment] John||Burnham Sutton||---|
|Allen William||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Allison Joseph||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Allot Bryan [Brian], Clerk [-]||Burnham Westgate||Rectory|
|Bayley Edmund||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Bull Robert||Burnham Westgate||William Beverly|
|Dewing Michael||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Groome [Groom] John||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Lateward James||Upwell, Clac.||Edward Godfrey|
|Lawes [Laws] Jeremiah||Burnham Westgate||Empty|
|North Matthew||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Powdich [Powditch] William||Sculthorpe, Gall.||Thomas Seppings|
|Pyemont [Pyemount] Thomas||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Raven Nicholas||Burnham Westgate||Thomas Reynolds|
|Sherwood Bartholomew||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Townshend [Townsend] William||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Wilmot John||Burnham Westgate||---|
|Holmes Jeremiah||North Creake||---|
|Kenny John||North Creake||---|
|Aylmer [Elmer] Michael||South Creake||---|
|Baldwin Thomas||South Creake||---|
|Barker John||South Creake||---|
|Coulsey Samuel||South Creake||---|
|Dack Robert||South Creake||---|
|Dennis Jonas||South Creake||---|
|Dixon Henry||South Creake||---|
|Evatts [Evitts] Thomas||South Creake||---|
|Glover Matthias||Sedgeford, Smith.||Robert Morgan|
|Glover Philip||Briningham, Holt||John Beaseley|
|Glover Robert||South Creake||---|
|Mayes John||Stanhoe, Smith.||---|
|Oliver John||South Creake||---|
|Oliver Thomas||South Creake||---|
|Press Robert||Holt, Holt||John Tooke|
|Shales [Sheales] John||South Creake||William Bene|
|Shales [Shelles] Charles||South Creake||---|
|Thurlow George||South Creake||Thomas Jarrit|
|Thurlow John||South Creake||Robert Rice|
|Turner David||South Creake||---|
|Wasey [Wacey] Thomas||Hindringham, N. Gr.||Thomas Magness|
Places with no voters
The following place :-
had no one who lived there and voted because of a freehold in the same place. Note that voters may still have lived there and voted because of a freehold held elsewhere.
- 1. The list of the Hundred abbreviations is on the main 1768 Poll Book (Crouse) page.
- 2. W. Chase also published this list of voters. This has enabled a comparison between the two. The differences are as follows:-
- Many surnames were spelt as they sounded. Crouse seems to have added an "e" to the end of many names such as "Browne"/"Longe". For many both spellings have been included.
- Some entries have the Surnames and Christian names transposed.
- There are also both incorrect Christian names and surnames.
- Some people are in one book but not the other as indicated.
- The alternatives from Chase are enclosed in square brackets - "" as indicated below :-
- "[-]" means information differs from Chase.
- "[+]" means preceding information was not in Chase.
- "[DF="place"]" indicates a place of freehold in Chase which is different to that here.
- "[DR="place"]" indicates a place of residence in Chase which is different to that here.
- "[xyz]" eg. "[Cl.]" or "[Esq;]" indicates additional or different text in Chase.
- 1. In the transcription of the Poll Book the modern spelling of place names has been added in brackets "()" to many of the entries so that a search will find them.
Brothercross Hundred is followed in the Poll book by Clackclose Hundred.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.