Norfolk: East Walton
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WALTON (EAST), a small but scattered village, 9 miles E.S.E. of Lynn, has its parish in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred, and petty sessional division, King's Lynn county court and bankruptcy district, Lynn (Norfolk) rural deanery of Norfolk archdeaconry, and Lynn polling district of West Norfolk. It had 183 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2659 acres of light sandy soil, much blown about by the wind in dry weather, and resting on a substratum of chalk. The rateable value is £1926. Anthony Hamond, Esq., owns the whole, and is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, and south porch, in the Perpendicular style, and an embattled round tower of the early Decorated period. The nave is filled with unsightly pews, and the fine chancel arch has been narrowed by a timber arch of the last century. The piscina and part of the sedilia remain, and inside the communion rails are several slabs commemorative of the Rychardsons, Barons Cramond. The communion plate was given to the church by Sir William Barkham, Bart., in 1681, and the parish register dates from 1560.
A. Hamond, Esq., is patron of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 3s. 4d., and is in the incumbency of the Rev. S.F. Hardinge, who is also rector of Gayton Thorpe. In 1841 the vicarial tithes were commuted for £178 and the rectorial for £230 per annum. The latter belong to the Bishop of Norwich.
The school is attended by about 30 children.
In the garden of a farmhouse is the ivy-mantled tower of St. Andrew's Chapel, which was appropriated, with the church, to Westacre priory.
The Poor's Land, 6 acres, is intermixed with the lands of A. Hamond, Esq., who provides, in lieu of rent, 3 shillings' worth of bread every alternate Sunday. On St. Thomas's day, £20 are distributed among the poor, as one moiety of Callibutt's Charity. (See page 320 [which is the entry for Hillington].) About 450 acres were enclosed in 1841, and the same quantity in 1846.
POST from Lynn, arrives at 8.30 a.m. Narborough is the nearest Money Order Office.
Bunkle Richard parish clerk Dye John victualler, Greyhound Hardinge Rev. S. Vicarage Loads William smith & wheelwright Potter Frederick farm bailiff to John Wellingham Wellingham Mr John
See also the East Walton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.