Burton Joyce and Bulcote
Burton Joyce, anciently called Burton Jorz, from a distinguised family of that name, who were owners till the reign of Henry VIII. It is a pleasant, well-built village on the Southwell Road, six miles north-east by east of Nottingham, sheltered on the north by a range of lofty hills, which bound the vale of the Trent. Its parish includes the small chapelry of Bulcote.
Burton Joyce is mostly the property of the Earl of Chesterfield, but R.W. Padley Esq. and Thomas Wilson M.D. have estates here. It contains 690 inhabitants and upwards of 1,000 acres of land, enclosed in 1770, when allotments were made in lieu of the tithes. The Earl is also lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £4 19s 2d, now £145, and has 70 acres of glebe, exclusive of land at Lowdham, purchased with Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. John Rolleston M.A. is the incumbent.
The church, dedicated to St. Helen, contains several ancient tombs of the families of Frenchville, Jorz, Roose and Stapletons. A Wesleyan chapel was built here in 1824. In 1851, Thomas Wilson M.D. converted the Grove House into a private asylum for males. The Midland Railway Company has a neat station here on the Nottingham and Lincoln branch. A legacy of £24, left to the poor by William Martin in 1788, was expended in the erection of a poor house for the united parishes of Gedling, Burton Joyce and Shelford, but was partly taken down in 1839, and the remainder converted into a cottage. It is now in the Basford Union.
Bulcote is a small village and chapelry, one mile west of Burton Joyce. It has about 160 inhabitants and 970 acres of land. Captain E. Leigh is the principal owner and lord of the manor, but Gregory Gregory Esq. and Gill Wilson, gent, are also part owners. The church or chapel is a small, humble edifice annexed to Burton Joyce. The poor have 7s yearly, left by an unknown donor. The feast is on Trinity Sunday.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]