" Teversal is a small village and parish, seated on a lofty eminence on the western border of the county, and near the source of the River Meden, four miles west by north of Mansfield. The parish, which has a number of scattered dwellings, abounds in coal and lime, and contains 373 inhabitants, and 2,550 acres of land; bounded on the north and west by Derbyshire, and including a small part (60a) of the park of Hardwick Hall, in that county. The whole, except 40 acres of glebe, belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon, who is also lord of the manor.
The church, dedicated to St Catherine, has a tower and five bells, and was enlarged in 1617 by J. Molyneux Esq., who made a large vault under the south side, in which all his family are now gathered. The heiress of the late Sir P. Molyneux carried the estate into the present family. The rectory, valued in The King's books at £9 19s 2d, now £510, is in the gift of the Earl of Carnarvon, and incumbency of the Rev. John Charles Stapleton, for whom the Rev. George Frederick Morgan officiates. Dunsell, one and a quarter miles north; Fackley Lane, three quarters os a mile south west; Stanley, one mile west; and Whiteborough, two miles south west are four hamlets in this parish."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]