WHITE's 1853 "History – Directory and Gazetteer of Nottinghamshire":
Tuxord Parish is about two miles and three furlongs in length, and is intersected by the Great North Road, and nearly ten miles of public and bye roads. It contains 1,211 inhabitants, and 2,013A. 1r 21p. of strong clay land, which was enclosed in 1799, when the tithes were commuted for two allotments, viz : 326A. 2r. 39p. to the appropriators, and 101A. 2r. 13p. to the vicar; in addition to 8A. 2r. 11p. of ancient glebe. In Saxon times Tuxford or Tuxfarn, formed two manors, but after the Conquest, it was part of the fee of Roger de Busli, and had soc in Schidrinton and Walesby. It wm afterwards held by the Lexingtons, the Longvillers, the Suttons, and the Markhams, from the latter of whom it passed to the three co-heiresses, and has since undergone a further sub-division, so that it now belongs to several proprietors. The farms at Merryfields, Scarthing Moor Bridge, and Tuxford Lodge, are the property of the Duke of Newcastle: and those at Westwood and Cock Park, belong to the Earl of Scarborough, and to Trinity and St. John's College in Cambridge. Mill Hill, where there are two windmills, and Holywell, a spring of cold water, noted for curing rheumatism and scurvy, are both in this parish.
TUXFORD, which stands on the North road, in the centre of the parish, and contains most of its population, is a small market town, seven miles S. by E. of Retford, 28 miles N. N. E. of Nottingham, and 137 miles N. by W. of London. lt has a good weekly market, on Monday, and the Duke of Newcastle has just erected in the Market-place, a neat Corn-Exchange for the convenience of the farmers and millers. An annual fair is held on May 12th, for cattle, sheep, millinery, etc.
A great part of the town was burnt down on September 8th, 1702, and afterwards rebuilt, so that it has now a modern appearance. It has no manufactures, but being a great thoroughfare, and the centre of a very productive agricultural district, its markets and fair are well supported; and its inns and taverns derive much of their prosperity from the numerous travellers constantly passing to the north and south. It was a well-known posting stage previous to the existence of railways, but since the opening of the Great Northern line, which passes through the parish and has a neat Station at the bottom of Lincoln street, little or no posting is now done. Gas Works, a joint-stock company was formed in 1852, consisting of 100 £10. shares, the works are situated in Lincoln street ; the gasometer will hold about 5,000 cubic feet, and it is expected they will be ready for use early in December. They have been erected under the superintendence of Mr. Frederick Bailey, of Retford. Mr. James Wood is secretary.
The CHURCH dedicated to St. Nicholas, consists of a nave and side aisle, and has a spire with five good bells. All the ancient monuments mentioned by Tboroton, as well as the armorial glass, are in a state of decay ; there is, however, still in existence, a representation of St. Lawrence roasting on a gridiron; one man is employed in blowiug the fire another turning him with a pair of tongs, and a third looking on ; also, some specimens in the north porch of a priest in the attitude of prayer. This latter is on a stone of a coffin shape; the figure is only a bust, with his head shaven, and a cushion under it, accompanied by a quatrefoil, rondeau, chalice, and paten, the emblems of the sacredotal office. In the north wall also, is a very ancient figure of a lady, in a square head dress, strait surcoat, and long sleeves, and a hound at her feet. Of its former history, we find recorded in Tanner, that here was a college founded by John de Longvillers, who obtained leave to place in the parsonage house here, a college of five chaplains, one of whom to be warden ; but that not taking effect, he got leave from Edward III. to give this advowson to Newstead Priory, that they might find five chaunting priests, viz., three at Tuxford, and two at their own conventional church, whose duty should be to pray for his soul, &c.
In 1545, Henry VIII. gave the patronage and appropriation to Trinity College, Cambridge, to which institution they still belong. The vicarage valued in the King’s books at £4. 14s. 7d., and now at £260., and the Rev. Hy. Augustus Marsh, is the incumbent. The church was repaired and its pews renewed in 1811, at the cost of £1,400., and the late vicar put up a new altar-piece, and renewed the tables, at a cost of £40., and in 1843, a new organ was purchased at a cost of £130. to supersede a small one, purchased by subscription in 1812. The vicarage house is a handsome mansion, surrounded by tasteful shrubberies, etc. The Methodist chapel, in Eldon street, was bnilt in 1809 ; and the Independents, in 1840, erected a neat chapel in Newcastle street, at a cost of £600.
The prison or lock-up, with the pinfold behind it, was constructed in 1823. The parish enjoys three public schools, and several benefactions, and has a lodge of Odd Fellows.
The GRAMMAR School, which is held in a well-built house, and has long been in considerable repute, was founded in 1669, by Mr. Charles Read, who gave £200. towards the building of the school-house, and endowed it with a moiety of a rent charge of £48.15s. 5d. payable by the executors of the late Sir Gilbert Heathcote, Bart., out of the manor and castle of Falkiugham. The master has the free use of a house and garden, and is allowed to take boarders, and now receives £40. per annum, and the remainder is reserved for the reparation of the buildings. The founder made a similar bequest to Corby, in Lincolnshire, and appointed six trustees at each place, and the mayor and vicar of Newark and the mayor and aldermen of Grantham to be visitors.
The GIRLS' NATIONAL and INFANT Schools form one building, with two dwellings in the centre for the teachers, and were built in 1830, on the vicarage laud, at the cost of £400., by the late vicar, aided by individual subscriptions, a grant of £40. from the National Society, and £30. from the Trinity College.
Tuxford has a fine Community Partnership Library at Tuxford Primary Academy on the Newark Road just west of the A1. Visit the Inspire Culture site to find hours of operation, etc. It is normally open 4 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting).
Nottingham University Library also has "1769-1812 lists of inhabitants, residents, freeholders", ref: "Ne 6 M 1/4/10/1-42".
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Tuxford Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014. This cemetery is at the south end of the village on Newark Road.
The National Archives have "BURIALS (including CREMATIONS and EXHUMATIONS): Tuxford Cemetery, 1938." Reference HO 45/17707. These records have not been digitized, so you can NOT see them online. The Archives also have over a dozen items for Tuxford Manor.
- The parish was in the Tuxford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 852 1851 H.O. 107 / 2121 1861 R.G. 9 / 2417 1891 R.G. 12 / 2642
- There may have been a Saxon church here before the Domesday Survey, but none is recorded. The only evidence is of "Saxon looking" work on the south aisle of the church, but this is hardly proof.
- Records show a chapel of ease here in 1179.
- The church was built in the 12th century.
- The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
- The church was restored in 1473.
- The church chancel was built in 1495.
- The church was repaired from 1874-1890.
- The church was restored again in 1893.
- The church seats 367.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St Nicholas on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.
- and Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Church Tower on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.
- The churchyard was enlarged by 1/4 acre in 1903.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1624.
- The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish only for the period 1813-1843.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Tuxford.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1841.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2010.
- Jonathan THACKER also has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
- The parish was in the Tuxford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Tuxford Stocks on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Tuxford Lock-up or Gaol on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2010.
Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Tuxford Lock-up on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.
The best source for material on who spent time in the lock-up would likely be the local newspapers.
Tuxford is a market town, a township and a parish within the parliamentary borough of East Retford. It lies 137 miles north of London, 28 miles north-east of Nottingham city and 7 miles south-east of Retford. The parish covers 4,110 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
- Tuxford is split by the A1 at the intersection with the A6075 arterial road. You can head south from Retford or east from Ollerton or north from Newark on Trent.
- There were three railway stations in Tuxford, but all are now closed.
- The Orchard Park Caravan and Camping Park on Marnham Road might suit your needs for an overnight stay.
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) is on Vision of Britain.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tuxford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tuxford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Tuxford was historically a market town. In 1218 Tuxford was granted a market charter.
- Tuxford had a bad reputation in the 1600s because its roads were so clayish and this slowed transportation, weighed down horses hooves, and slowed travel to a crawl.
- Tuxford was known in the 1800s for making nails and bricks.
- Tuxford held a yearly fair on 12th May for cattle, sheep and drapery.
- A History of Tuxford by Mike SANDERSON.
- Most of the town has been rebuilt since the great fire of 1702. The damage caused by the fire was so great that the reigning monarch Queen Anne authorised a nationwide collection fund to help rebuild the town.
- Robert GOULDEN has a photograph of the 1745 Rebel Stone on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2006. There is an interesting snippet of history in his caption.
- The Tuxford Windmill is a tower Windmill, built in 1820 and restored between 1982 and 1993.
- Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Newcastle Arms Hotel on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
- Tuxford Hall was rebuilt about 1785 near the site of the old Hall. It was, for many centuries, the home of the WHITE family.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK735708 (Lat/Lon: 53.229165, -0.900422), Tuxford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- On the manor grounds stands an old stone cross which was brought here and erected on 1 August 1798 to commemorate the victory of Admiral Nelson over Napoleon's fleet in the Battle of the Nile. The cross pre-dates the victory by about 100 years.
- There is a marble tablet memorial in the parish church to Captain Charles Lawrence WHITE, 3rd Foot Guards, who was mortally wounded in a sortie from Bayonne on 14 April 1814.
- In 1915, Tuxford provided lodging for 120 medics for wartime training as noted in the Newark Great War Bulletin.
- There is a War Memorial cross in the south side of the churchyard to honour the men who died in World War I.
- Barbara WHITEMAN has a photograph of the War Memorial on Pictures of England.
- Julian P. GUFFOGG has a photograph of a Memorial window in St. Nicholas' Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2015. The window honors Armistice Day, 1918.
There are two Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard, both from World War I:
- William Henry MERRILLS, priv., 1st/10th Btn. Royal Scots, age 22, died 23 Feb. 1919. Son of John Burkitt and Emma MERRILLS, of Eldon St., Tuxford.
- George Henry MORLEY, priv. , Sherwood Foresters, age 22, died 17 Feb. 1917. Son of George and Elizabeth MORLEY, of 47, Ollerton Rd., Tuxford.
- Tuxford has formerly been known as "Tuxford in the Clays" and "Tucker's Ford." In the 1086 Domesday Book the name is rendered as Tuxfarne.
- This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the North Clay division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
- In April, 1935, this parish gave up 46 acres to enlarge Market Clinton Civil Parish.
- You may contact the Tuxford Town Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Bassetlaw District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard at the Retford petty session hearings held in West Retford.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1799.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the East Retford Poor Law Union.
Year Inhabitants 1801 785 1811 841 1821 979 1831 1,113 1841 1,079 1851 1,211 1861 1,034 1871 1,016 1881 962 1911 1,154
- An Endowed School was founded in 1669 by Charles Read.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Old Grammar School on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.
- A National School for girls and infants was built in 1830.
- Robert GOULDEN has a photograph of The Old School House on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2005.
- The existing Tuxford School has only been in use since 1958 when it replaced these other facilities.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of the Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.