"FRESSINGFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, county Suffolk, 7 miles N.E. of Eye, and 4½ S. of Harleston, its post town and railway station. It includes the hamlets of Chepenhall, Whittingham Hall, and Ufford Green, besides two small places called Catterpole Green and Hussey Green. The land is chiefly arable, but there is a considerable tract of common, comprising about 600 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value with the rectory of Withersdale annexed, of £597, in the patronage of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient structure, with tower and porch, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and contains a brass of 1489, and a handsome altar-tomb to Archbishop Sancroft. The parochial charities, including an endowment of Archbishop Sancroft's school, produce about £60 per annum. The above archbishop was a native of, and died at, this place. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. The parish contains four manors, of which Lord Henniker, Sir R. S. Adair, H. N. Heale, Esq., and the Rev. Augustus Cooper are the several lords."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fressingfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fressingfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM273769 (Lat/Lon: 52.343015, 1.33574), Fressingfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)