An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Horne
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HORNE, (or Hourne), a parish in the first division of the hundred of Tandridge, county Surrey, 6 miles N.W. of East Grimstead, 6 S.E. of Reigate, and 3 S.W. of the Godstone railway station, its post town. It is a small agricultural village, containing Harrowsby borough, near which is the site of Thunderfield Castle, supposed to have been the palace of King Athelstan. Previously to 1705 it was a chapelry to Bletchingley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £450. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a spired tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. There is a school entirely supported by the Rev. H. Poynder, M.A.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"HARROWSLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Horne, first division of the hundred of Tandridge, county Surrey, 3 miles S.W. of Godstone railway station, and 6 N.W. of East Grinstead. Here is an extensive moat and Thunderfield Castle."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.