"LAMBETH, a parish and metropolitan borough in the E. division of the hundred of Brixton, county Surrey, 1½ mile S.W. of St. Paul's. The London and South-Western railway has its terminus at Waterloo Road, in connection with the branch line between London Bridge and Charing Cross, and likewise a station and goods depot at Nine Elms, near Vauxhall Bridge, not far from which is a steamboat pier, and another near Lambeth Palace. It is connected with the opposite shore by Waterloo, Westminster, Lambeth, and Vauxhall bridges, and by the new Hungerford railway and foot bridge, on the site of the old suspension bridge, which connects the branch line above referred to with the Charing Cross terminus."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]