"MERSTHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Reigate, county Surrey, 3½ miles N.E. of Reigate, its post town. It is a station on the South-Eastern railway. There is a tram railway to Wandsworth belonging to the Brighton Company. Pilgrim's Lane passes through on the way to Canterbury. There are some excellent quarries of stone called Reigate stone. The land is chiefly arable and meadow, with some fine orchards and gardens. At Feather's Inn is a well 210 feet deep. Lime is burnt here, and chalk marl dug. The Brighton railway intersects the parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £574."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]