An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Pirbright
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PIRBRIGHT, (or Purbright), a parish in the first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, 6 miles N.W. of Guildford, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Woking railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Basingstoke canal, and on the line of the South Western railway, both of which pass through the parish. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with a considerable extent of woodland and common. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £380.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £103. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, with a small spired tower containing six bells. There is a stained E. window in the chancel, which is of recent erection. There is a parochial school. Henry Halsey, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.