An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in West Molesey
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WEST MOLESEY, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Elmbridge, county Surrey, 1 mile W. of East Molesey, 2½ miles N. of the Esher railway, and 4 W. of Kingston, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the Thames near Molesey Hurst. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The parish is bounded on the N. by the Thames, across which is a ferry to Hampton, and on the S.E. by the river Mole. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1815.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £100. The church has an old flint and rubble tower containing a clock and two bells. The fabric was rebuilt in 1843, and enlarged in 1860, when a N. aisle was added. The windows are of stained glass. The register dates from 1729. There is a National school. Molesey Hurst, or Common, on which the Hampton races are held, is situated in the N. part of the parish, on the banks of the Thames. Lord Hotham and Lady Berkeley are joint lord and lady of the manor. The races are held in June.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.