Old Shoreham


SHOREHAM is a union town, seaport, parliamentary borough, and railway station, on the south coast, at the mouth of the river Adur, 56½ miles from London, 6 west from Brighton, 22 east from Chichester, 5 east from Worthing, and 6 south from Steyning, in the Western division of the county, Fishergate hundred, Brighton county court district, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. Its trade is chiefly in coals, corn, and timber, and it also has a considerable French trade: shipbuilding forms a prominent branch; it is also an excellent oyster station. The town consists of the parishes of New and Old Shoreham, and is governed by a high constable, elected annually. The borough of New Shoreham includes the parishes of New and Old Shoreham, the town and parish of Steyning, and the whole of the rape of Bramber, and returns two members to Parliament. A fair is held on the 25th of July. The Local Government Act is in force here, having been adopted on 6th December, 1865.
Old Shoreham is on the eastern bank of the river Adur, one mile north of the town, formerly a place of some importance. Ella, the first King of the South Saxons, landed here to complete the conquest of England. The only remaining ancient relic is the church (St. Nicolas), which has been repaired, and much of its pristine beauty restored: it is a very interesting edifice: the expense of its restoration was defrayed by Magdalen College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage value £458 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Magdalen College, and held by the Rev. James Mozley, B.D.
An elegant suspension-bridge was erected in 1832, by his Grace the then Duke of Norfolk, over the river Adur.
The Swiss gardens are extensive: the principal entrance is from the high road to Bramber Castle, three minutes' walk from the railway station: attached to them are a small theatre, museum, conservatory, &c.
The town is lighted by gas. Here are a custom-house, police station, and a recently-established board of health. Charles II. made his escape from Shoreham to Fecamp, after the battle of Worcester.
Steyning Union House is in Shoreham, and contains about 80 inmates.
Here are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.
Buckingham House and Park, the seat of H. Bridger, Esq., is a short distance north of the town.
The area of Old Shoreham is 1,870 acres; New Shoreham, 170 acres. The population in 1861 was - Old Shoreham, 282; borough of New Shoreham, 3,351, and is now upwards of 4,000. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Old Shoreham which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Old Shoreham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ205060 (Lat/Lon: 50.840989, -0.289943), Old Shoreham which are provided by: