Appleby St Lawrence
"The parish of St. Laurence is bounded on the East by St. Michael's, commonly called Bongate parish; on the South-east and South, by Ormeshead and Asby parishes; on the West, by Crosby Ravensworth and Morland parishes; and on the North, by the said parishes of Morland and St. Michael's: And contains in the whole about 160 families [in 1777], all of the church of England. The church (as the name imports) was dedicated to St. Laurence; which was the original of the fair at Appleby on that saint's day, and the same feast of St. Laurence is for the like reason in ancient writings appointed for the payment of rents in places thereabouts. It is a vicarage."
[Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. Transcribed by Anne Nichols]
St Lawrence is one of Appleby's 2 parishes with St Michael.
The parish of St. Lawrence also covers Colby... Barwise... Hoff and Drybeck.
M.I.s for Appleby St Lawrence were transcribed in Monumental Inscriptions of Westmorland by E. Bellasis 1888-89 and are available on Westmorland Papers.
The church contains monuments to Lady Ann Clifford (d.1676) and her mother the Countess of Cumberland.
No returns survive for the 'census' is of 1787.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
Church dates from Norman times in the base of the West Tower and the South Porch doorway.Internally the five-bay arcade is Decorated work from the C14th and the screens are C15th. Externally the Perpendicular-style windows are Victorian.
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site.
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
Baptism registers 1694-1956 Marriage registers 1695-1976 Banns registers 1809-1924 Burial registers 1694-1963 Bishops transcripts 1665-1869
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR28 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Appleby St Lawrence to another place.
The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932) on British History Online
Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by T Cox in 1731.
Transcription by S Reveley, J Fisher and L Schoenwald.
"Buley-Castle, situate on the River Eden, a little above Appleby on the North-West, and belonging to the Bishop of Carlisle.
It is said to have been erected at two or three Times by the Bishops of that See, several of whom have kept their Ordinations here, as there are still in Being several Registers to testify, if a Proof of it were necessary."
See the history for the town.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY664195 (Lat/Lon: 54.569547, -2.521706), Appleby St Lawrence which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)