Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bampton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bampton

Primary tabs

"BAMPTON, a parish in WEST ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 9 miles (N. W.) from Orton, containing 614 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle, rated in the king's books at £7. 5., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, was rebuilt on the site of the former, in 1726: the vicarage-house was rebuilt also, about the same period, by Dr. Gibson, Bishop of London. The river Lowther runs through the parish, in which is a beautiful lake, three miles in length, called Haweswater. This lake is about three miles long, and half a mile broad, its summit being environed by an assemblage of lofty mountains, its eastern side sheltered by well-planted rocky eminences, and its western bordered by cultivated fields. "

[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]

topup

Cemeteries

M.I.s for Bampton were transcribed in Monumental Inscriptions of Westmorland by E. Bellasis 1888-89 and are available on Westmorland Papers.

topup

Census

Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. There is a transcription on EdenLinks

Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.

A transcript of the 1841 census of Bampton [HO107/1162] has been provided by Virginia Gretton.
The surnames included are:

ABBOTT, ARCHER, ATKINSON, BANKS, BAXTER, BECTON, BIRD, BLAND, BOWES, BOWSTEAD, BRAIDLEY, BROWN, BRUNSKILL, BURN, BURROW, BURTON, CAPSTICKS, CASTLEY, CHAPELHOW/CHAPLHOW/CHAPLEHOW, CHERRY, CLEG, COOKSON, COOPER, CREIGTON, DALTON, DENISON, DIXON, DOBSON, DOCKER, DOCKERA, DOUTHWAITE, DOVER, EBDEL, EDMONDSON, FADDAN, FALLOWFIELD, FARRER, FOSTER, FOULSTONE, GARMAN, GASGARTH, GRAHAM, GREENHOW, GRIG, GRISDALE, HALL, HARRISON, HART, HEADMAN, HETHERINGTON, HILL, HODGSON, HOGARTH, HOLME, HOOSON, HUDSON, HUNTER, ION, JACKSON, JAQUES, KIEVLEY, KINDLYSIDE, KIRKBRIDE, KNAGG, LAMB, LANGHORN, LEACH, LOWERY, LOWIS, LOWRAIN, LOWSON, LUNN, MARCHELL, MARTIN, MATTINSON, MATTOCKS, MEDCALF, MILLER, MILNER, MOFFAT, MORPHET, MOUNSEY, NEVINSON/NIVNSON, NEWTON, NICHOLSON, NOBLE, OBDELL, ODE, PARR, PATTINSON, PEARSON, POOLEY, RAWES, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, ROWLANDSON, RUDD, RUSSEL, SANDERSON, SCOT/SCOTT, SEWELL, SHERMAN, SIMPSON, SLEE, SMITH, SOWERBY, STEPHENSON, STODDART, STOUT, TEASDALE, TINKLER, TOMPSON/THOMPSON, TURNER, TYSON, UBANK, WAKEFIELD, WALKER, WARD, WINDER, WILLIAMSON, WILKINSON, WILSON, WHARTON, WOOF, VIPOND, YOUNG.

Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bampton area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

 St Patrick's Bampton Grange by Martin Dawes St Patrick.
Church rebuilt 1726-8 including W tower. Later additions 1885. The font may be Norman.
This and other photographs on Geograph site
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
topup

Church Records

Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.

Baptism registers [1630]-1936
Marriage registers [1630]-1972
Banns registers 1754-1925
Burial registers [1630]-1903
Bishops transcripts 1665-1881


See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR15  for information on these and other parish records..

For searching on LDS familysearch.org see  IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott) 
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).

topup

Description and Travel

Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. Transcribed by Anne Nichols.

"This parish is bounded on the East by the parishes of Lowther, Shap, and Morland; on the South, by the parish of Shap; on the West, by the parishes of Barton and Askham; and on the North, by the parishes of Askham and Lowther: and contains about 140 families, [in 1777] all of the church of England, one only excepted. The whole parish is but one township or constabled into two parts, Bampton Patric and Bampton Cundale; both so called from their respective proprietors. wick, and probably of ancient time hath been but one manor, when it received the name of Bampton. But so early as any account hath occurred to us, Bampton was divide . . . Within Bampton there is a place called Knipe, which is often spoken of as distinct from Bampton; as where it is said Bampton and Knipe Patrick, Bampton and Knipe Cundale. Knipe is so called from its situation. It signifies the top of a hill or rock. The Saxon word is kniæp. The Icelandic word is gnype. Nab is a word of the like derivation, signifying the top and outermost verge of a steep hill. Thus opposite to Knipe, towards the east. we find Hardendale Nab. The church of Bampton is dedicated to St. Patric. It is a vicarage in the patronage of the crown."

You can see pictures of Bampton which are provided by:

topup

Directories

The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bampton to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bampton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland  by Thomas Cox 45 pages, printed in 1731.Transcription by Sarah Reveley,  Joan Fisher and Lisl Schoenwald.(Rootsweb Westmorland Listmembers)  (c)  2003

"Bampton, or Banton, a Village situate upon the River Loder, in which we observe nothing memorable but a good Free-School built, and endowed by Dr. Thomas Sutton, a Native of it. He was educated in Queens College, Oxford, and having taken Holy Orders, became Minister of Culham in Berkshire, and Lecturer of St. Helens at Abingdon, which he at length exchanged for the Lectureship of St. Mary Overhees in Southwark, where having continued some Time, he was desirous to finish a Work of Charity which he had began, and to that End took a Journey to this his native Place, and there put his Hand to the Finishing of this School which he had began. Having done this, he hastened to London again to his Charge, taking Ship at Newcastle, but in the Way was with many others cast away, and drowned in 1623, being then not forty Years old. Some of their Bodies were taken up, and among them Dr. Sutton's, as was thought, which was buried at Aldborough in Suffolk. Drury, the Jesuit, rejoiced greatly at the Doctor's Death, and the more, because he said it was a Judgement on him for being so zealous against Popery in his Preaching; but Drury's Censure was returned upon his own Head two Months after, for he was killed by the Fall of a Chamber in Black-Friars, at an Assembly of Romanists, to whom he was Preaching. Bampton-Candale and Bampton-Patrick, two Manors belonging to Roger Lord Clifford 4th, of which he died possessed 13 Rich. II. And left them with other great Estates to his Son and Heir Thomas"

Historical notes for Bampton from The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932) available on British History Online.

Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of  Bampton.

topup
topup

Population

1641/2 795(est)
1671 670(est)
1787 678
1801 600
topup

Probate Records

Bampton is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.

topup